Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Attention: Whose Job is it to Educate America’s Children?

A conversation with a mom last week got me thinking about the answer to this question. She stated that she was tired of hearing teachers complain. They complain about their salaries, the bad children that they teach, and how much they hate their jobs at times. She said that teachers are constantly going back to school just to make more money and if they would just focus on being a better teacher, they would be one? This woman had some interesting views concerning teachers. She asked me “Didn’t you understand what you were getting into when you became a teacher?”


It’s Appalling
I must admit, this was an easy question for me to answer. Of course, I knew that I would be taking on a tremendous amount of responsibility. Teaching children was a career decision I thought through very carefully. However, I never thought that there would be children coming to school with brand new sneakers on their feet but no school supplies. Every teacher spends at least $500 out of pocket each year to provide for these students. I never thought that it would be impossible to contact a parent about their child’s progress all year long but see them at my doorstep because the child “cussed me out!” and I’ve written a referral. I knew that some students would come from tough homes and that I would have to love them and be their mother, father, doctor, lawyer, counselor, social worker, cheerleader, and provider. However, I never thought that I would come in contact with parents who cared so little about their child’s education. I can always tell a child that comes from this type of home and I must tell you it is very hard to alter this “nonchalance” view of education. However, I try to foster a love for learning in each and every child. How we expect our children to be successful in this highly competitive world with such a mentality is completely beyond me. I do know firsthand that it can be done.


A Parents Job
Parents who do their job have children who thrive. They are well cared for and come to school anxious to learn whatever you have prepared for them. These children can talk about their school day with their parents and their parents listen. They communicate with their child’s teacher and support them at home. This has nothing to do with money. Children whose parent’s care about their schooling come from all socioeconomic backgrounds. Even when the family is experiencing difficulties these children may have trouble coping but eventually, with the help of a counselor, it all works out. However, I fear that there are so many of our children who simply don’t care about their education. Whose job is it to correct this issue? 

Proverbs 22:6 says: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.The Answer
Everything cannot and should not be blamed on the teacher or the parent. Not all teachers are great but not all teachers are substandard either. The very same can be said for parents. However, I do know that if our children do not value their education, the outlook does not look good! Now whose going to be responsible for that?

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion the learning starts at home...I taught my boys their shapes, colors, their numbers and alphabets. It helps when they are at a learning center (daycare pre-school), but the initial start is at home. And I was thankful, when they were tested in Kindergarten they were both reading on a 3rd grade level...I could not have been prouder of them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous...I so agree with you on this. Some people just don't realize how important it is to work with their children before they start school. This sets the tone for their entire life of learning! You go mom!!!

    ReplyDelete